Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Diabetes Management with Low Vision

Low vision is one of my favorite areas to work in, and would love to share some ideas for adapting equipment for diabetes management. Last Summer, I had a patient with diabetes, diabetic retinopathy (resulting in low vision),  neuropathy (pain and numbness in his hands and fingers), and also happened to be somewhat hard of hearing (for starters). Very rarely do I work with patients who have one single medical diagnosis so it's always important to consider all systems. This particular patient expressed to me that he would really like to be able to independently monitor his blood glucose levels as advised by his doctor.

Due to his low vision, the first thing that came to mind was a Talking Glucose Meter. With Medicare, many patients are eligible for free diabetes supplies so with a doctors order he was able to obtain one for free. 
 
Once the Talking Glucose Meter arrived, I was able to read the (very small) instruction sheet and rewrite the steps to checking his blood glucose in permanent marker on bold and wide lined paper. I later used more of the same paper to make a chart for his to record glucose readings by date and time. Though the device had large print on the screen, the fact that the screen was relatively made it difficult to see so he preferred to put the device directly up to his ear when it spoke a reading--which he heard loud and clear.

In order for the patient to draw blood from his finger, he needed to be able to 1) insert a lancet (needle) into the lancet device (finger prick tool), 2) set the lancet finger prick size, 3) line up and prick his finger. Thankfully with practice the only difficult part about this was that spin knob tended to turn to wider/more narrow settings without his knowing. I was able to mark the preferred setting with bright orange fabric paint for him to line up. (I drew a line on the main devise at the start position and the second line on the spin knob along the "3" line. With these bright and raised lines, the was able to ensure the lancet would always make the correct size prick.


Due to the neuropathy in this patient's fingers paired with his low vision, the next problem was in  getting the test strip into the small slit of the Glucose Meter. To solve this problem, I used adhesive white bumps on either side of the small slit as both a visual cue (high contrast of white bumps on dark gray Glucose Meter) and a tactile guide for the strip to fit between.

With these adaptions and lots of practice with supervision, the patient was able to reach his goal in a matter of two weeks!

*Even with specialized equipment, it is important to remember that creativity and personalization can still be necessary in order for one to safely and effectively use diabetic testing supplies. This particular patient was not insulin dependent at the time however, check out http://www.shoplowvision.com/catalogsearch/result/?producttype=&q=insulin&x=0&y=0 for equipment which may make drawing and injecting insulin safer and easier for someone you know with low vision.

1 comment:

  1. From 2002 to 2019, I was battling this terrible disease called Diabetes, I couldn't afford so many things, as I was spending about 70% of my income on treating diabetes and liver problems. little did i know that my medications were the main cause of this issue. After spending tons of money nursing my diabetes, my wife’s friend messaged her on facebook,  Sarah told her about  the  great herbalist Dr  James,who uses herbs and roots extract to cure diseases that have been said to be incurable by drugs and injections from Nigeria in west A frica, my wife explained to Dr.James what’s going on with me, and Dr.James asked what i have been using, after my wife explained to him, he asked if i was having blurred vision, kidney issues or any other complications, my wife told him i had blurry vision and liver issues, and he confirmed that the medicines i have been using is the cause of the complications. That was when it occurred to me that my doctor had changed my medications 5 times within the space of 12 years. I took my time to read about the side effects of the medicine i was using, lo and behold, I was shocked.
    After 2 days, we ordered Dr.James  natural  herbs cure for Diabetes treatments and he also gave some directives on what to do, in a 4 days time , the supplements arrived in the States, and my husband started using the herbal medicine in accordance with Dr.James directives. so my husband used the herbal medicine accordingly as he was told. After the completion of the treatment on the 4th week, with  Dr.James herbal medicine, from 2019 till date, my husband  has been feeding normally like everybody else. After I saw these changes in 2019, I told some people I know about  Dr. James herbal mix medicine in west Africa , they used it and told others about it and the good news about Dr.James herbal healings keeps spreading.
    As interesting as this is, Dr.James have has cure for diseases like Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis,Lupus,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV/AIDS, Herpes Virus,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid. just reach him on his Email  [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com].  

    ReplyDelete